Hand-Crafting The Speed Bag:
This was the perfect summer. I never owned or was able to get a speed bag or trained with it in the gym but it looks fun.
- Leather (I used Artificial leather)
- Heavy string for leather
- Normal string
- One shoe string
- Scissors and needle
- If the leather your using is thick, holes must be prepared in advance for the stitches
- Choose your colors nicely, I chose my theme black and red =)
Leather parts :
Use the scissors prepare the 8 pieces of leather :
- Use the template or draw one by hand, we will need 6 pieces, for the sides
- a hexagon (six equal sides with six equal angles of 120 degrees between each side) for the bottom
- a rectangle of 8*40 cm which for the hook.
to make the sewing and stitching easier, glue the sides by pairs.
Next we will start sewing the pieces with a typical two needles saddle stitches, leaving a bit on less than 1cm free to join the bottom piece and more on the top for the tightening string.
Now we glue the 3 pairs together and we start sewing the together. leave one half open with enough room so we can put the ball inside later.
Use normal string to make the loops for the string and I added 3 washers to protect the leather, proper leather accessories should be used.
The only thing left now is the piece that will attach the ball to the swivel. I made it a little bit far from the swivel so don’t make the gap too big also the rectangular piece is folded in half making it 4*40 and it is sewed with saddle stitches.
When your DONE with the leather working, put the ball inside, pump air and its alive. you can add bits of fabric in the upper gap.